2010年12月1日 星期三

Lesson seven 片語補充

Lesson seven 片語補充
IDIOMS AND PHRASES
1. now and then 有時候,偶爾
例:Ariel usually rides her bike to school, but (every) now and then she takes the MRT.
【補充】同義片語
(every) now and again
例:Every now and again I hang out with my old high school buddies.
(every) once in a while
例:I usually watch DVDs at home, but once in a while, I go to the movies.
from time to time
例:My mother calls me from time to time, but I haven't seen her in a long time.

3. be accustomed to [+ (doing) something] 習慣於
例:Ken is accustomed to boring meetings on     Monday mornings.
  Morgan wasn't accustomed to getting up early; in fact, she got fired because she was often late.
【補充】其他近似片語
become/get/grow accustomed to something    變得習慣……
例:Adam's eyes slowly grew accustomed to the dark.
be used to (doing) something  習慣於……
例:This is a noisy street, but I've lived here for years so I'm used to it.
get used to (doing) something  變得習慣……
例:Don't worry. You'll soon get used to the pace of life in the city.

4. be worthy of 值得
例:Professor Lee is worthy of great respect for his total dedication to his students.
【補充】相關片語
be worth something 價值……
例:This antique vase must be worth a lot of money.
it is worthwhile to do something ……是值得的
例:I think it is worthwhile to buy this expensive sofa because it will look great in our living room.
it is worthwhile doing something ……是值得的
例:It is always worthwhile checking over all your answers before you hand in a test.

5. take ... for granted 視(某事)為理所當然;視(某人)為理所當然
例:Don't take your mother for granted, son. You need to be nice to her.
【補充】
take it for granted (that)  視(某事)為理所當然
例:Tom seemed to take it for granted that I would always be there for him.

沒有留言:

張貼留言