2010年12月1日 星期三

Lesson seven words 16-20

Lesson seven words

16.outline  n. [C] a general shape 輪廓
     Because of the fog, I could only make out the outline of the building. I couldnt see the details.

17.tenderness  n. [U] gentleness 溫柔;親切
tender  adj. 溫柔的;親切的
    The boy handled his new puppy with love and tenderness.
     My mothers voice is soft and tender.

18.enable v. [T] to give someone the ability to do something 使(某人)能夠(做某事)
     This memory stick will enable you to save more than four hundred images in your digital camera.
** able adj.
ability n. [U] 能力
unable adj. 不能
disabled adj. 喪失能力的;殘障的
enable ... to ...  使……能夠做某事
be able to + V  能夠做某事
the disabled 殘障人士(也可以用the handicapped,但politically correct的說法是the physically challenged。)
  【補充】
    blindpolitically correct說法是visually impaired
    deafpolitically correct說法是hearing impaired
    有關PC English ,請參考第二冊第四課Using Politically Correct English
例:The information provided by a secret witness enabled the police to catch the murderer within 24 hours.
  I am sure we are able to reach a conclusion which satisfies both sides.
  The building was designed with many conveniences for the disabled.

19.detect  v. [T] to notice something 偵測;察覺
detective  n. [C] 偵探
     They did not detect the gas leak in the kitchen until it was quite serious.
      He hired a private detective to investigate the matter.

20.feel  n. [sing.] the way one feels when touching something 觸感
I love the feel of my new silk scarf.
** feel v. [I] 感覺,感受
feeling n. [C] 感覺
feel it important/necessary to do something  覺得做某事很重要/有必要
feel like + N  想要
feel like + doing something  想要(做某事)
feel as if/as though  感覺好像
hurt one's feelings  傷人感情
have/get a feeling that  感覺到……
例:We feel sorry about her situation.
  Do you feel like a cup of tea?
  I don't feel like going to the movie by myself.
  The last thing I want to do is to hurt your feelings.
  I suddenly got a feeling that he was not happy.


沒有留言:

張貼留言